For the past few months, we’ve been working on (what we think is) a pretty cool little tool that will allow any Octobas.com user to migrate their Parse app from any publicly available Parse instance, over to Octobas.com.
It’s this easy!
Let’s get started shall we!
Sign up for an Octobas.com account simply by entering your email address
Once you’ve signed in, you will need to either register your credit card or subscribe with PayPal. (Don’t worry, you will only be charged if you use more than your free allowance)
Credit Card information is kept safe thanks to the super smart folk at stripe.com.
The options here are pretty self explanatory. Once you’ve registered your payment method, you’ll be able to create your first app.
You will need to create your app before you can begin the migration process.
Creating your App
Another cool feature we offer is allowing you to bring your own database when signing up for an Octobas account. This feature has not been tested with this migration tool so proceed with caution.
Go ahead and create a new App and keep the “DB Url” field blank. Once created, you will see the “App Settings” menu that provides you access to the Migration Tool.
The tool only needs 3 pieces of information to migrate your data from any public Parse server:
- Parse Server URL
- This is the URL to the Parse instance where your data and files are available.
- example: https://my.parse.server.io/58a77d64a498724d86a43602/parse
- Migrated App ID
- This is the App ID of your existing Parse App
- example: 58a77d64a498724d86a43602
- Migrated App Master Key
- This is the Master Key to the Parse App you’re migrating to Octobas
- example: 0e5f4d03-d719-436a-bd05-08d9d0442013
That’s all folks!
Once you’ve clicked the “Migrate App” button, your data should be copied over within seconds and you will receive an email once the process is complete.
Measure Once, Cut Twice
We all know the saying and we should all doublecheck that all data and files have been copied over before switching your apps over to our service. No-one has ever been too careful (not that we know of, anyway).
Q & A – (This is the really important stuff!)
Q: What exactly will this migrate?
A: The Octobas migration tool will copy your data and files from your existing Parse server
Q: What is NOT copied?
A: A number of things:
– Passwords! Passwords are securely stored on your Parse service, just as they are on ours; There is no way for us to retrieve these so your users will need to reset their account passwords if you are currently storing Passwords.
– iOS and Android Push certificates. These are obviously also stored securely so you will need to upload these via our Parse Dashboard
Q: I’m still unsure, are you able to help?
A: That’s what we’re here for! Feel free to give us a yell.